Sunday 22 September 2013

Evaluation of Pleminary Task

In this lesson, we continued to work on our school magazines. I changed my magazine quite a lot from my design idea, because I felt that the layout was too much like a newspaper than a magazine. I am happy with my final product because it is effective and follows the same colour scheme throughout.

Front Cover
My front cover follows the colour scheme of purple, white and black. I thought that these colours would work well together because they all compliment each other which helped my text and images to stand out. The typography I used was called Berlin Sans FB Demi. I chose this font because it is quite quirky and this therefore would help to attract readers and make them want to read the magazine.

-Full Bleed Image
The image I used was of a young boy smiling, which emphasises that the main story is likely to be uplifting and joyful. He is holding a Good News Note as my main story is on the idea that one of Haydon's students had broken the world record for the number of good news notes received. I feel that this image was appropriate to use because it related to the story and because it is of a student, which emphasises that the magazine is targeted towards students.

-Sell lines
The sell lines I used highlighted what else was on offer, if the reader wasn't too interested in the main article. I made some of the words from the text a different colour to make it stand out so that readers would be more interested and so that it would catch their attention. I varied the text size to make the page more interesting for the reader and entice them to read the magazine.

Contents Page
My contents page followed the same colour scheme as my front cover to give my magazine a professional and effective look. I included a 'welcome' section to make my readers feel like they are involved in something and not just reading any magazine. This demonstrates that I was trying to form a personal relationship with the readers. I used the same font as my front cover to keep a consistency to the presentation of my magazine. I wrote the page numbers next to the description and title of each feature to allow the reader to skip to whichever feature interests them most. I included a couple of images to make the contents page multi modal and therefore making it more interesting for the reader, and allowing them to see what else is on offer throughout the magazine.

To Improve...

- Use a more professional camera rather than an IPhone
- Use a more exciting font
- Show a larger variety of features on the contents page
- Use straplines
- Include social media

No comments:

Post a Comment